Salmon Quinoa Bowl
Updated: Jul 8, 2021
Flavor packed, nutrient dense, easy to make and family friendly! This will become a regular rotation, guaranteed.
Quinoa is a super food. Full of protein, fiber, minerals, antioxidants and all nine essential amino acids- it's gluten free too! Pair it with the omega-3 fatty acids and vitamin B12 in Salmon and you have a bowl of body fuel that will keep you feeling full and energized.
This dish is family friendly for the whole family. Have a baby who in still on purees? This is delicious blended! (Just omit the salt for baby) Have a toddler? This is bite size friendly and you can flake the salmon for them.
You can add and substitute so many aspects of this dish, but if you make the way I do, it's sure to please the taste buds!
What you'll need (4 servings):
4 fillets of salmon
1 teaspoon Cumin (approx. ¼ teaspoon per fillet)
1 teaspoon Powdered Ginger (approx. ¼ teaspoon per fillet)
1 lime (approx. ¼ juiced per fillet)
Salt and Pepper (to taste)
1 cup (235 ml) quinoa
2 cups (470 ml) water
¼ teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons coconut oil (can substitute olive oil)
1 teaspoon ginger powder (or 2 teaspoons finely minced fresh ginger root)
½ lime (save for after cooking)
For Mango Pico De Gallo:
1 Mango diced small
1 Avocado diced small
½ Red Bell diced small
½ Red Onion diced small
2 teaspoons finely chopped coriander (cilantro)
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons water
Salt and Pepper to taste
1. Preheat oven to 240 C/450 F.
2. Prepare Quinoa: Heat medium sauce pan on medium-high heat with coconut oil, add ginger, quinoa and salt stir for 1 minute. Add water, bring to rolling boil, cover, simmer on low heat for 20 minutes (or according to package directions until quinoa is light and fluffy). Let set for at least 5 minutes before serving.
3. Combine Mango Pico De Gallo ingredients in bowl. Set aside. (This can be done up to 24 hours in advance)
4. Place Salmon fillets on greased or foil lined baking sheet. Squeeze lime juice onto salmon. Sprinkle with cumin, ginger, salt and pepper. Put in preheated oven and bake for 8 to 10 minutes (the thicker your fillet, the longer it will take)
5. Fluff (stir upward lightly) quinoa with fork before serving, squeeze ½ lime juice and fluff again.
6. Serve Quinoa into shallow bowl, place salmon darn (piece) on top of quinoa, top with large helping of mango pico de gallo. Enjoy!