Seared Tuna Salad with Sesame Ginger Dressing
Updated: Apr 6, 2021
A healthy flavorful salad inspired by summer.
Simple to make but sure to impress.
Tuna is an ingredient so many people see but are intimated to buy because it seems like it may be tricky to prepare. It's so easy to give it a quick sear and let its own fantastic flavor and consistency shine through.
What you'll need:
1-piece good quality Tuna cut (approximately 3 cm thick)
Toasted Sesame Oil
1 large (or 2 small) heads of lettuce – baby gems ideal or bagged lambs’ lettuce
½ Red Onion sliced thinly
1 Mango cut into medium cubes
½ Red Bell Pepper sliced thinly
½ Avocado cut into medium cubes
For Salad Dressing:
1/4 cup olive oil
2 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
3 tablespoons white vinegar (less or more depending on preference)
1 tablespoon soy sauce
2 tablespoons fresh ginger minced finely
½ tablespoon sesame seeds
1 tablespoon honey (less or more depending on preference)
1. Combine Salad Dressing Ingredients into jar with lid. Shake vigorously. Taste for adjustments. Set aside.
2. Combine Salad ingredients in large bowl. Set aside.
3. Cut Tuna into 3 cm logs (noting that there will be an odd shaped piece or two. Try to keep thickness as priority.)
4. Pour soy sauce lightly on all sides of Tuna. Then roll in sesame seeds.
5. Preheat pan on stove. Add 2 tablespoons of rapeseed oil and 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil. On medium-high heat, sear tuna approximately 1 to 2 minutes on each side. Tuna will be pink in middle- adjust cooking time for own preference.
6. Remove Tuna from Pan and slice. Dress Salad with desired amount of dressing and toss. Place Tuna on Salad, serve, and enjoy.